Sunday, May 1, 2011

Superheroes Among Us

[Editor's Note: This post was actually written a few weeks ago but due to my extreme laziness and the sheer difficulty of going ALL the way downstairs to get the camera and come ALL the way back up to load pictures onto the computer, this post is coming to you now. Yes, I finally sacrificed and lugged my pregnant self downstairs to get the camera.]

Braden is one of my biggest fans and I love him for it. Whenever I make something, he exclaims, "Wow!" and always wants to test out whatever it is. It's kind of lovely actually, to have a delighted audience to show my projects to.

So one day he was busy imagining up something and told me he needed a cape. I tried recommending a towel or blanket, but it just wouldn't do. So I sort of committed to make him a cape.

He asked me every day for the next week if we could work on it now. He wanted to make sure he could watch the whole thing. I told him I didn't have any fabric that we could make a cape out of. So he asked if we should drive to Joann's and get some (smart kid...he has been to Joann's more times than he can count!) I was too tired that day to go, but realized that this was a priority in his mind!

So we went to Joann's the next day. What color should it be? I asked. Orange. And Keri chimed in too. Pink. Ok, so now I am making two superhero capes! We bought some fabric and headed home.

It took another day or so to wash and iron the material so we could cut it. I am so mean to make them wait like that! Seriously, we talked about The Cape every twenty minutes from the time we had the material until we started actually making it. But one very pregnant person can only do so much in a day, ya know?

Anyway, I let them pick what they wanted on their cape and both wanted a star. Braden's was yellow and Keri's was...yep, you guessed it. Pink. I don't know why I even try buying her clothes that are other colors!

I managed to get one or two decent pictures. And I do mean decent. Braden told me that superheroes just wear their underwear, mask, and cape (he's kind of right, those skintight bodysuits don't really provide much coverage, do they?)



The second the capes were done they were dashing around the room. I was kind of amused since I wanted to see what it is that Braden thinks that superheroes do. He kept jumping and making various threats. I told him that superheroes usually try to help people who need help by using their special abilities. So then he started running around asking, "Does anybody have a cat stuck in trees?"

He makes me laugh out loud at least once, every day. And Keri too, she just keeps running around right behind him saying "Anybody?"

4 comments:

Lauren said...

That's so awesome! Cute capes! Maybe I can call him and tell him I need help with something so he can put on his cape.

Radene said...

So cute, and great job! Love the masks too. Cute! Way to go to do all that work and i'm sure you were exhausted too. They look great.

Cherie said...

Great job Mer! Those are adorable and I love that there's another little boy who loves his monster truck jammies. They are adorable and I really hope I can meet them someday!

BusyMama said...

What a good mom! You should have made a superhero cape for yourself. I think you've earned it.