That phrase keeps running through my head. Let's just say that life got a little more complicated again today.
I was cutting Tom's hair and bent down to pick up something I'd dropped and when I went to stand back up my back spasmed and I couldn't straighten up again. And so I can't really walk right now.
But the weird thing is that right after it happened, I felt more like laughing than crying. Don't get me wrong, it hurts like crazy and it definitely adds a new dimension to the whole half-blind-very-pregnant-mother-of-two-just getting-over-the-flu dynamic I'm living right now. It's just kind of funny. Life, that is.
I've been thinking amidst these different challenges about how people respond to what happens to them and how it can really shape who you are as a person. It is really easy to get caught up in our own problems and to lose sight of the bigger picture. I am guilty of this myself as some things I've dealt with have thrown me off kilter, at least at first. But I am reminded that it is our trials and how we respond to them that really mold us into the kind of people that we are to become.
One of my favorite poems is this:
My life is but a weaving,
Between my God and me.
I do not choose the colors,
He worketh steadily.
Ofttimes He weaveth sorrow,
And I, in foolish pride,
Forget He sees the upper
And I the underside.
Not 'til the loom is silent,
And the shuttles cease to fly,
Will God unroll the canvas
And explain the reasons why.
The dark threads are as needful
In the skillful Weaver's hand,
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.
-Author Unknown
Anyway, one of the biggest reasons I can laugh about this happening today is because of Tom. He honestly is so fun to be married to. He makes me laugh out loud almost every single day. Luckily I was almost done cutting his hair when I hurt my back, but he wasted no time getting me to laugh while I was hobbling around. He's been humming and singing some Mother Goose song all day about a crooked little man who lived with his crooked little family in a crooked little house. And earlier when I was crawling around the floor on all fours since it was the only way to move, he got down on my level and asked me what animal we were pretending to be.
Laughing is definitely more fun than the alternative. I laughed again tonight when Braden asked me what we are going to do tomorrow. What he meant by his question is "What fun activities do you have planned for me tomorrow?' and 'Are we going to the library or the park or to do something else exciting?" I laughed because I'm really not sure exactly what we are going to do tomorrow, other than pretend we are different farm animals all day. As I mentioned, I have been crawling around getting a close-up of my rugs and hardwood floors today (and they are disgusting), so maybe I should teach the kids to vacuum and sweep the floors?
I guess I will figure tomorrow out when it comes. In closing, here are a few quotes I like about laughter:
Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on. (Bob Newhart)
Laughter is the shock absorber that eases the blows of life. (Author Unknown)
A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book. (Irish Proverb)
5 comments:
Oh you poor thing! So I like the part when you and Tom were pretending to be animals! Maybe you can play farmhouse with the kids and have a picnic on the ground! That way you won't have to move much! I love you Mer!
Oh, Meredith. The fact that you can even entertain the thought of laughing after all this is amazing to me. I sure hope this is the last of the list of yucky things your body has in store for you. It HAS to be.
uh... don't you have like two months left?? has it gone away?!?!? IS IT GOING TO???
hey sweet friend...I am soooo impressed with all your amazing projects...especially the jewelry...a girl after my own heart! I am so sorry to hear about all your physical challenges...crazy! I wish I was there...miss you!
How hilarious your Tom is! Not hilarious that you are hurt. so sorry! But I too laughed out loud as I read this post. I too love poems and quotes. That poem is a great one. Thanks for sharing it.
Post a Comment