Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Eyes and My Sewing and Crafting Craze

Well, I found out since I last posted that my vision is not worse because of pregnancy alone, I actually have something called central serous retinopathy that is making my left eye all crazy. To make a long story short, after I got my new glasses I still couldn't see any better so I saw an opthalmologist and then a retinal specialist and they finally figured out that I have fluid building up behind my left retina and that is why my vision in that eye is blurry and why I can't see any fine detail with it. It will go away a month or two after the baby is born and usually only happens in young males who take steroids...and a small group of pregnant women in their third trimester. So I am just one of those lucky few! Anyway, I am getting used to it by this point and although it makes driving difficult and is kind of annoying, I am glad to know it is temporary and that I am not permanently losing my vision!

So, since reading and driving have been less than easy, I have been home a lot and have actually been spending a lot of time sewing. While that seems like it would be hard on your eyes, I can actually make do since my right eye is still fine. My main goal has been to use up supplies I already had and to finish what I had already started. These first few things I made before the eye trouble, back in January. And please forgive the poor-quality photos, I tend to craft by night so the lighting was not great.

Some jewelry...


A chore chart (we are instituting the practice of doing a "job" every morning after breakfast...the kids actually think it is fun!)...


A car seat canopy (the old one was purple and not very fitting for a boy...this one is probably a bit unmasculine as well but what can you do?)...


A nursing cover (again, the other one I had was purple)...


Some basket liners for the toy shelf...


An apron I started two years ago at a Super Saturday (it's just one apron, but it is reversible)...


Matching oven mitts...


A baby kimono gown and some baby hats (all from old T-shirts)...


Two wetbags (waterproof, washable bags to keep in your diaper bag in case an outfit gets destroyed or your sort-of-potty-trained daughter doesn't make it) ...


A purse...


And then I have been into refashioning clothing lately. I turned some maternity pants into a maternity skirt and took a bunch of old T shirts I had and made them into those "half shirts" (like the ones Shade or Downeast Clothing make) that you can wear under other shirts that need a tank top. I got sick of finishing the sleeves after awhile, and you never see the sleeve, so forgive my lazinesss...



And a hairclip holder (or as the kids call it, "the garden") ...


And there are still a few skirts/dresses for Keri under construction. But my project list is shrinking and my sewing room is getting cleared out, so we are making progress. This is actually how I survived the third trimester of pregnancy with Keri too...I just keep plugging away at projects on my list and somehow the time keeps passing and I feel productive and happily pregnant rather than just dwelling on my elephant calves and how many weeks/days/hours I have remaining :) Also, I know that I will not sew or craft much for the first few months after I have this baby, so it also helps me get it all out of my system so that I am ready for a long break. Call me crazy, but it works.

7 comments:

Sarah Burrell said...

Wow! I'm impressed. I have a pile of projects that I just don't have the energy to get to, and I only have one toddler at home! Of course, I do have the added stress of nursing school (and psych rotations- yuck!). Still, good for you for getting all that done!

Richins Family said...

wow i'm such a looser! I'm SOOOO impressed mer! wow really! i love everything! I want that comono....please? haha jk!

I'm so glad that your eye isn't permanently going to have issues! anyway I'm 4 weeks away with no nursing cover, (assuming i will need it this time), and no carseat canopy. You've helped me find my motivation :)

Kimi said...

WOW! You put us all to shame!! Go Meredith! I love everything you made... I only wish I had half the talent you do! Seriously, such great ideas. I really need to start using all my fabric and finish all my projects. Like Carlee said, you inspire me!

Amy said...

That is AMAZING! I've never seen a more productive woman in her 3rd trimester...well maybe Elise when she was pregnant with Oakley. You are awesome! I wish I could be more like that.

BusyMama said...

It took me a year to even look at the sewing machine after having two. And my productivity dropped off drastically when I reached the last trimester. You blow my mind. This is further evidence that you are amazing. And your ideas? Where do you come up with this brilliance?

Sarah said...

I'm tired just reading about it.

Radene said...

Yes, you're crazy and definitely nesting, but AMAZING to say the least. You're very talented and I love your determination to create. Way to go! Tom is so lucky to have you! I hope you get that large piece of land someday and all your dreams to go with it! You are a great homemaker--in the best sense of the word. That's awesome. Great job on all those neat creations. Love the matching aprons and mitts.