Wednesday, February 24, 2010

10,000


10,000.

The number of days that Tom has been living on the earth.



80.

The number of cupcakes I made for Tom and his classmates to celebrate those 10,000 days.



4.

The number of large containers of sprinkles (or "jimmies" for the cool people) needed to cover 80 cupcakes.



1.5.

The number of large containers of sprinkles I had in the house.




The following is an excerpt from the email my husband sent to his classmates after he'd dreamed up this little scheme:

"Dear Class,

This Wednesday, February 24, 2010, I will be turning 10,000 days old.

In honor of this special day, my wife will be baking 10,000 cupcakes. Well, not really ten thousand, but she will make ~80 cupcakes for our class. I know it sounds elementary school-ish, but anything the cupcakes lack in maturity will be compensated for by their excellent taste.

We will be having my birthday celebration just outside of [secret location] immediately following the [extremely riveting] lecture at [undisclosed time]. I have notified [Tom's favorite professor] that it is imperative that he finish his lecture on time this week.

There is no need to RSVP. I hope you're as excited as I am!"

3 comments:

NJ said...

Wow Meredith! You are a stellar wife! That's a lot of cupcakes to bake. I don't think I could get that many done without the first batches going bad first. Seriously! I'm impressed. And happy 10,000 days to Tom! :)

Nicole said...

Dev read me the email and I was peeing my pants by the end! That is so ingenious and fun! And you are definitely a sport to keep up with such dreams! Dev said that they were really good cupcakes and the whole idea was quite the hit!

Radene said...

That is funny! Way to make school fun!