Monday, October 26, 2009

Oh, How Lovely Was the Morning

Yesterday morning we went for a drive to Monongahela in our pajamas. I've been noticing a lot of brightly-colored leaves on the ground and people are starting to rake up their leaves. Which means that my days of enjoying the beautiful fall leaves are numbered!

So we went for a drive to get our fill of fall leaves. It was so gorgeous! We went on route 43 and there is this crazy overpass. We pulled over to the side of the road and Tom wanted to look over the edge. He got back in the car and told me I had to go look. It was so scary! It made my heart beat a little faster than I like it to. But it was kind of wild to think we were that far above everything.

Here is a picture of what was over the edge. It doesn't look that far down but it's a LONG way down.



And here are some of those brightly-colored leaves we went looking for.




And one of the passengers-in-pajamas. Holding a pumpkin he got this weekend at a Halloween party. I think it even has a name.



When we drove back home, the road went under the crazy overpass I mentioned earlier. Look how small the cars are compared to it! It blows my mind how they build something like that.



And some more brightly-colored leaves.


I was in autumn heaven. After church, we came home and made TONS of squash (we even made 3 different types...acorn, butternut, and spaghetti) and some pumpkin cookies (new recipe). Yum. Here's the cookie recipe if you want to try them.

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream together butter and sugar. Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla and mix until smooth. In separate bowl mix together dry ingredients until blended and then add to wet ingredients. Mix until well blended and then place small rounded scoops on greased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Cool completely and then ice with cream cheese frosting (I make mine by combing 6 TB softened butter, 3 oz. softened cream cheese, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. milk and 3-4 cups powdered sugar).



And now, I think I'm going to go outside and look at the leaves some more! I just can't get enough of these crisp fall days. Next project: learn to love winter.

2 comments:

Cherie said...

oh those pictures are beautiful! I have been so homesick for fall lately it's getting ridiculous. It's 85+ degrees here again today and not one leaf has turned from any shade of green. It's depressing really! So, thank you for sharing and helping me realize fall still exists some places! I loved Braden in his PJs also...so handsome!

NJ said...

Somehow I missed this post until today and now I'm super excited to go try that pumpkin cookie recipe - I LOVE everything pumpkin!!