I thought some of you might like to get better acquainted with the youngest Draper among us. You know, find out what she's all about.
- Name: Keri
- Age: Four months.
- Favorite place to fall asleep: Next to my mother.
- Favorite place to hang out: Being held by my mom, preferably eating at the same time.
- Favorite place to nap: It's a tie. Either on my mom's shoulder or in my mother's arms.
- Favorite food: My mom.
Is anyone else noticing a trend?
I am fully aware that most babies prefer to be with their mothers whenever possible, but my sweet little Keri is refusing to sleep unless I am either holding her or sleeping next to her! All I have to say is that I love this little girl and I'm beginning to think this little girl loves me back. Even Daddy doesn't cut it most of the time!
Seriously, I love that she wants to be snuggled. I empathize with her need to be near familiar things and familiar people. But I will admit that I am starting to feel a tiny bit suffocated. I mean, I have things I need to do. Such as taking showers. Cutting my food. Going to the bathroom.
I know what some of you are thinking. Actually, almost everyone I know seems to believe in one of two theories...there's the "let 'em cry it out" people and, well, the people who think letting babies cry is cruel.
With Braden, we let him cry it out once or twice and have enjoyed his sleeping habits ever since. But Keri has a totally different personality than he does. It's hard to describe...she is not high-strung or anything, she is actually very calm and happy most of the time. She just needs familiar things and familiar people. I'm actually kind of the same way.
So, I'll admit I haven't decided what to do. Or whether to do anything. Part of me says to just enjoy her wanting to be held so much because she is only little once. The other part of me enjoys multiple hours of uninterrupted sleep. But I'll figure something out.
I will say that no one gets her laughing like her Daddy does. Here's a video of my giggling little Velcro Child.
4 comments:
Hey just thought I'd share something that works for us. I know it's sweet when they want to snuggle but it's hard to get anything done and even harder when you have another child that needs attention too. With my daughter we have found that it helped when she was sleepy to give her one of my "g"s - dry silk ones. I guess since it is soft and smells like me it helped to soothe her. My son and daughter both also use "gaks", something my husband's family made up. They are just silky pieces of cloth (satiny like) that are hemmed that they can snuggle with. James loves those but Anna prefers the "g" top instead. Anyway just thought I'd throw that out there if you want to try something similar - anything that smells like you and is soft or warm will probably work. Maybe sleep with a fleece blanket until it smells like you?? Anyway, hope that helps!!
hayden was the exact same way and it drove me nuts and loved it at the same time. sleeping was the part that got tricky! he wouldn't nap or sleep at night unless i held him...i think i just got lucky cause i didn't have to let him cry it out...i just kept laying him down alone and he finally just got used to it....it was great....but now he won't sleep at all if i hold him so flying and church is tough cause he won't sleep! good luck!
Keri is just such a cutie! Oakley finally went to sleep on her own when I put her down with a super soft fuzzy blanket and she just rubbed her little face in it. Now she won't have anything to do with me when she's trying to go to sleep! Good luck!!
I just love her belly laugh...so cute. As for the velcro thing...you have my sympathies but I have no words of wisdom...I failed miserably with the girls at getting them to be more independent. One thing that helped...one day (maybe at college) Keri will sleep on her own and you will be free.
Post a Comment