Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Some Good Plain Fun

I used to tell people that if I weren't LDS I would be a Southern Baptist (mostly for the choir, the choir robes, the hand-clapping and the Hallelujahs...I'm not trying to make fun, they just seem to really enjoy themselves). Well, I've changed my mind.

I would be Amish.

Most of you don't know this but I am seriously intrigued by the Amish. When we first found out we were moving to Pennsylvania, I was so excited because I have always wanted to see some actual areas where the Amish live. Now lest you all think I have a romanticized view of the Amish like many tourtisty types, let me assure that I have done my homework. I've read several books - fiction and nonfiction - and I honestly have a deep respect for their way of life and beliefs.

Anyway, we've been to Volant, PA several times (near Grove City) and have had fun seeing the Amish farms and buggies while driving around, but we wanted to check out Holmes County, Ohio because I'd heard that is the most densely populated area. I love having Tom on break from school...it is so fun to wake up every day and do whatever we want! So one afternoon last week, we decided to take a spur of the moment trip to Ohio!

The drive took about two hours and it was SO beautiful. We drove through most of the small towns first and then decided to go back and walk around Berlin a little bit. It was slightly touristy (which I hate) but there were cute little antique shops and several Amish families and buggies here and there. The first picture on here is an Amish buggy we saw driving away (we were trying not to be too obvious about taking a picture since the Amish don't like to be photographed, but the little boy in the backseat of the buggy caught us!). This next picture is me and the kids in front of an Amish quilt shop:



We kept looking for the perfect place to eat dinner, but we are so indecisive (I say we but I mean I because Tom was letting me choose). I wanted it to be something uniquely Amish but not a tourist trap (have you sensed my anti-tourist streak yet?). We didn't find anything that was still open in Berlin (it was evening) that fit the criteria, but we just had to try this ice cream shop there (Burr's Ice Cream for those of you that might actually go...and I would strongly recommend it :) So we decided to have dessert before dinner (we like to go against the mold). Our favorite flavor was Ultimate Peanut Butter Brownie...I think if I could only eat one flavor of ice cream for the rest of my life that would be it.

There was a little gift shop attached to the ice cream parlor and they had little Amish doll dresses. Here's Keri with my next sewing project:


After we finished seeing Berlin, we decided to check out Walnut Creek, another nearby town, to find a place to eat. And we found the most amazing place! It is like an Amish Cracker Barrel...it's called Der Dutchmann and it was the first Amish restaurant of its kind back in the 1960s. It was so good, they still have many Amish and Mennonite cooks on staff! I can't wait to go there again! My salad is pictured below (I planned on taking a picture of the main course too but when it got to our table we devoured it before we remembered...think homemade mashed potatoes and slow-roasted turkey and roast beef though). All in all, it was a great day...plain and simple :)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Cherie said...

That sounds like a very fun trip! I love that picture of Keri with the little dress. So cute! I'm glad to hear you guys have been able to do some fun things lately :)

drussell said...

Mer, you're awesome. Every time I read your blog I feel so excited for this kid to come. You always look like you're having so much fun with Braden and Keri. Love ya-

Amy said...

That sounds awesome! I am excited to see Lancaster here soon....I just hope I don't spend too much money :)