Friday, December 25, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane


So me and the kids decided to get out of town for a few weeks while Tom stayed behind to study for finals. We missed him like crazy but had a wonderful time in Colorado visiting my parents.

We did my favorite things - a whole lot of hanging around the house, cooking, talking, crafting (well, we planned more projects than we actually ended up doing, but planning is 2/3 of the fun for me), shopping, and catching up. We spent the first few nights watching the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency...it might sound a little hokey but I was loving every minute of it! It's a show filmed in Botswana that was a nice break from the typical TV stuff that is out there. Okay, it still sounds hokey, but I sort of loved it.

We also helped decorate my parents' Christmas tree and enjoyed sitting by the fireplace after.


It was so fun to see my kids with their grandparents. Here is Miss Keri Anne with Grandpa (please withhold judgment for my daughter's socks clashing with her outfit...what, you didn't notice? I definitely did.).


And the Little Musician got in a lot of practice time at the piano...I am so excited for the day when we have a piano at our house. Well, sort of. We are still at the banging stage right now and the first few years of piano playing are not the most enjoyable for the Audience (that would be me). But I am excited to be able to practice again and to teach Braden someday.


Here is Braden upstairs with my dad and the ham radios (they aren't smiling...I must have interrupted a moment or something to snap the picture).



And here is a magnetic calendar I made while I was in Colorado for my sister and her husband for Christmas...I'd like to thank the makers of Mod Podge for sponsoring this board. Love that stuff.


And here are my sisters with me and Keri. Aren't they beautiful?


It was a fun trip. No, I take that back. It was fun being there. The flying-with-two-wild-hyenas-as-the-only-responsible-adult-who-must-ensure-no-one-is-lost-or-abducted-or-spills-apple-juice-on-the-nice-man's-laptop-sitting-next-to-us-on-the-airplane part was not the greatest. On the way there it was pretty good actually. So good that I thought, I might do this again. The way back was exhausting because we had to fly standby and get up at 3 in the morning, which I didn't find out until late the night before. I'd rather not rehash it if that's okay. Here is the best and worst moments of my air travel experience, to spare you the details:

Best moment: Braden is now familiar with what airplanes are and so when we boarded the first flight, we were walking down the" tunnel" to get on the plane and he froze and said "I scared." I told him it would be okay and he slowly followed me. By the time we were walking past all of the people in first-class, he decided he would be fine so he told every passenger in first-class, "I not scared anymore." Every one of them. It was very cute.

Worst moment: Right before our second flight on the way home, Braden decided to lay flat on his back in the middle of the airport floor while many MANY passengers were trying to get by and he would not get up. My hands were more than full and I could not make him get up. I asked him nicely to get up. I asked him not-so-nicely to get up. He did not get up. Then a nice flight attendant smiled at him and he got right up after she asked him to. I loved her/hated her for doing that.

7 comments:

Tom said...

Sounds like a fun trip, Meredith! I'm sure glad you all are back.

Meredith said...

@ Tom
You know, Tom, it's great to BE back. Thanks for leaving a comment! We just love those!

Amy said...

Love the Best Moment story and BTW Keri is so big and so beautiful!!!! Glad to hear you had a fun time.

Richins Family said...

I've been thinking about you! i'm glad you had a great trip and you should win the mother of the year award for flying alone! you look so pretty in all the pictures! hope you guys had a great christmas :)

BusyMama said...

You are incredibly photogenic, missy. It's good to have you back and it was fun spending Christmas with you guys. :)

Cherie said...

Oh I miss all of you guys! I can't believe how grown up Katie is. Little Keri has such pretty little blue eyes. You guys are all beautiful! I'm sorry you had a little bit of a rough time traveling home. I loved the story about him not being scared anymore. Too cute!

Pitcherpost said...

you are a brave girl! I don't think I'll fly by myself with 2 ever. Not unless Aubrey develops some stranger danger fear that she is severely lacking. That calendar is super cute. Yes Mod Podge is a great thing!