We just couldn't help ourselves. We have been dreaming about returning to Der Dutchman to try their breakfast ever since we left the last time so it was only a matter of time (seventeen days to be exact). So Monday we woke up before the sun and drove to our Amish haven and sampled the breakfast buffet. Much to my enjoyment, we were the only non-Amish eating there other than one other family...so we felt a little out of place in our "fancy" clothes (fancy as in clothes we bought in high school that we are still making do with). Anyway, I realize we sound like Amish fanatics, which we're not...I think just the driving-away-from-the-city part is what we really love...well, and the amazing food. Some people might think, "Tom and Meredith, that's a really long distance to travel for some food." If you're one of those, you just don't understand what we're all about (and we drove there on free gas so the only real cost was our time...which we are happy to give when food is involved).
Here are the Drapers, after we consumed freshly baked donuts, colorful fruit, fluffy biscuits and creamy gravy, succulent breakfast potatoes, scrambled eggs, something that tasted like chocolate mousse (most people don't consider this a breakfast food, but here is another reason I like the Amish), buttermilk pancakes, and so much more...do we look any bigger to you?
I'm not gonna lie. We will most likely go again. As Tom put it, "I don't think that was our last trip to Der Dutchman this year." But I promise not to blog about our Amish escapades anymore.
After breakfast we rocked in the rocking chairs outside for a bit. Here is my blue-eyed Braden:
To add to the perfect day, the weather was crisp and cool - I love love love fall weather. Is there anywhere that has year-round fall weather? I mean, there is Arizona or Florida for the summer-lovers and Alaska or Norway (or Pittsburgh) for the winter-loving people, but where is an autumn-lover like me supposed to move? Does this seem unfair?
This last picture is totally random, but here are some little shoes I made for Keri...I love them because they are the only shoes that actually stay on her feet for the most part...so she might have a few other pairs (as in four...teen). These ones are not the cutest fabric, but they are one of the first pairs I made.
So now we are back to our school routine. I love it/hate it. I like the structure of it and having a routine, but I hate missing Tom and feeling like any time I hang out with him that I am distracting him from studying. He doesn't make me feel like a distraction or tell me that, but I am :) Oh well. At least my favorite season is just about here!

3 comments:
I was SO excited to get your email! I've thought about you many times over the last few years and I'm glad we're back in touch! We have a blog too but I've kindof fallen behind the last two months! We've just been having too much fun this summer to keep up with the blogging but I WILL get back to it! Your kids are adorable!
I completely LOVE your family picture in the rocking chairs - so cute!! What a fun breakfast trip!
Ha! Just found your blog! That is crazy that you guys did that!! Tyson and I love breakfast and have been wanting to experience Amish food. How far away is this place?? Sounds great!
Post a Comment